Sunday, October 28, 2012

Reflections I

Every Week our Country Coordinator gives us something to reflect on.  Some weeks I follow the reflection, but some weeks my heart and mind focus on something else that I just need to get out and share with someone.  Below are some reflections and my responses to them.  I encourage you to ask take the time to look at the reflections yourself, so that we might share in this journey together.


October 5, 2012
REFLECTION - THE STUFF OF LIFE

Video: EAT<http://vimeo.com/27243869>    [ http://vimeo.com/27243869 ]

Faith is not simply a head game, not simply a bunch of creeds or statements one agrees or disagrees with. Rather, it is also about the nitty-gritty physical stuff of life - the things that we eat, touch, smell, see, and hear. In my tradition, the Lutheran one, we say<http://www.elca.org/Growing-In-Faith/Worship/Learning-Center/FAQs/Sacraments.aspx> that we learn about and receive God and God’s promises through spoken word, yes, but also through the refreshing feel of clean water, the texture of bread, and the flavor of wine on the tongue. Elsewhere one might notice the sound of the call to prayer echoing from mosques or the scent of incense rising from Buddhist and Hindu temples. Around the world, Sense and Spirit are linked.

Have you ever tasted what you might call the ‘divine’? What have your senses taught you about ‘the other’?

--

Rev. Peter Harrits

YAGM Malaysia Coordinator Country

_____________________________________________________________________


My taste buds are having a hay day, but that's all I can say on that front. 

More constant to my thoughts is God's purpose for my time here.  As I sit through worship and weekly fellowships at congregation members houses (the two I have been two have been in two very different Kampungs) I am only grasping a little of what they say.  Naturally I ask myself why I am even there when I cannot understand.  Then I realize my desire to be in community with other people who are also seeking God's presence in their lives.  Usually during the messege I cannot hold my attention and end up reading and re-reading the bible passages over and over again.  Little did I know, this might be part of God's plan.  You see, I have been intimidated by the Bible for as long as I can remember.  Last week George and I talked about this after dinner one evening.  I tried to explain why I find it intimidating but realize it's a conversation I've never actually had.  Now, here in this place, reading the Bible is the least intimidating part of worship, and it's actually part of the only aspect of worship that I can grasp. 

Tonight at fellowship I thought about how God might be working in this situation to bring me closer to him through his word.  I can't think of any other way that I would so willing and eagerly read the messeges that the Bible is filled with.  Now I am finding that I actually enjoying reading and trying to make sence of what the readings mean.  I chuckle at the thought of having a sly God.  But, I just know that this is helping me to better be in pursuit of God at the center of my life and I am ever so grateful. 


So, that's my biggest "a-ha" moment of my last week. 


Blessings,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment