Tuesday, November 27, 2012

In Honor of a Wonderful Man

The 18th of November marks the 63rd birthday of my wonderful step-father. Away on retreat I missed the opportunity to wish him a happy birthday.

As the YAGM Malaysia group spent Thanksgiving in West Malaysia we were asked to think about what we are thankful for.   I have been so blessed to come from such a supportive family and community.

My step-father plays such a large role in this. The sky is the limits in his eyes and he always told me I could do anything I put my mind to.  Most days I hear his voice in the back of my mind.  For example:

"You think you know hot, but you don't...you will learn"-My time in Malaysia has proved that he was right.  I have never sweated so much in my life.

"Make sure you eat and drink whenever you can, you never know when you will be able to again"-- yesterday I sat on a bus for almost an hour, when the trip usually takes 20 minutes.  I was so thirsty in the Sabah afternoon heat that it was unbearable.  Before getting on the wonderful public transportation, I remember walking past what seemed like a million kedai's (shops) and thinking that I would just wait until I got back to my friends apartment to get a drink.  Lesson learned.

"You don't know spicy"--yup! you were right!

Thanks for always sharing wisdom, even when it seems to be a bit premature. :) Much love and a happy belated birthday to a fantastic father!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Ashley. Enjoy every minute of this experience. See all that you can. Love ya Dan :)

    ReplyDelete