Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A strange and wonderful place- Singapore


Recently, our group went on a journey to Singapore.  Every three months we gather for community and reflection, as well as some good old fashioned rest.  This first trip didn't have so much of the rest, but it was a wonderful time to catch up, learn new things, and explore a new place.

When we first arrived, I was in awe of the impeccably manicured landscape of the city.  The awe was soon replaced with disbelief in a place so well kept.  Later we took the public transportation of the city which also blew me away. Again, so clean and so simple.  People willingly gave up seats and it was eerily quiet.  Needless to say, it felt like I was in the unimaginable Utopia.

We stayed at Trinity Theological College on the outskirts of the city proper and had a delicious dinner of burgers.  (Malaysian burgers are....just not the same...)  We woke up in the morning for some fantastic discussion on the history of Singapore and Malaysia.  We split into pairs and taught our group about different chapters in a book titled, "Crossroads".  This was honestly a wonderful way to wake up and learn.  We had really fantastic discussion about the history of this part of the world.

During our time there, we did the following:

*Here we met with the Bishop of the Lutheran Church of Singapore, to learn some history.
*We had morning devotions based on Islam-Christian relations and understanding
*We wandered China Town and Arab Street/Kampung Glam
*We went to the National Museum of Singapore
*We went to church at Queenstown Lutheran Church
*We saw the Merlion
*On the free day I went with a small group to the SINGAPORE ZOO!
*Our last night we went to the Skypark at Marina Bay Sands.
****I must add, I have never felt so safe in a foreign country****


My highlight was attending church on Sunday morning.  (Though I was a bit surprised by the sign outside the door that said, "Praise God by being on time for Church", just as we were arriving at the exact time it was supposed to be starting..whoops!)

Never the less I was moved to tears by the "familiarity" that I have been missing and longing.  I was moved by their hospitality, their liturgy, their hymns, and their English.  These are all things I took for granted before. I was absolutely delighted when it was time for the passing of the peace (my favorite part) and loved every second of the conversation during fellowship after church.  Jessie offered me a tissue during the service, but I just basked in the overwhelming joy and longing of that place and it's message, it's people, it's love, and it's community.

Everything about Singapore was familiar in a sense that it is very "Western".

My church in Malaysia also has similar elements to it, but it's just different.  For example, fellowship in Malaysia is had in people's homes and includes a small service of songs, prayers, and a message, as well as an abundance of food.  Everyone shakes hands after the service is finished, as they all prepare to leave (so, similar to the passing of the peace).

Never the less, it was a good trip, back to the western world, but in Asia. We had wonderful discussions, learned a lot, and were able to share a lot of our experience with each other.

 

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I'm praying for you as I write this... well I'll pray for you after. I can't multitask that well. It's so good to love doing new things AND to realize how much you love familiar things. As I get ready to graduate, I'm seeing how many opportunities there are for me to go and do something completely outside my comfort zone- it's encouraging to read your blog and to see how your'e processing and reacting to everything. I feel like I'm taking a mini-vacation each time I read your blog : ) Love you, and make sure to include in your blog what you need prayer for.

    Rae

    ReplyDelete