Thursday, March 7, 2013

Birthday!

5 March 2013

Today is my  birthday!

I went to school and Rev. Peter came to do a sight visit.  I was a little disappointed because Tuesdays are my least favorite days at school, only because I have two classes two times each in the morning.  

But

The classes went really well!  I think all the constant review is really helping!

After the first 4 periods Peter and I sat and talked about life, school and such.  Eventually a rumbling tummy told me it was time to relocate and find food! I asked Kurius if we could eat and he told me to enter class 6.  This should have been my first hint, but I was totally clueless!

I walked into class 6 where all students from class 5 and 6 were waiting to sing "Happy Birthday".  Snacks and  pop was everywhere and Leny even dished up my food for me and lead me to a designated seat.  Hillisia came and gave me a gift from school, which led all the other teachers to come forward and give me a gift, naturally followed by the awkward "shake the hand, receive your 'diploma' and wait for the camera" pose.  One student brought me a present and shook my hand, which some how lead to almost 10 more students coming forward with beautifully wrapped gifts.  

Now, it's not the gifts that were exciting, but the pure joy I saw in the faces of my students as they shared my special day with me.  They truly wanted to make me feel special and to know that they care about me. 

I don't know how many times I am asked if I miss my family.  Here family is the most important thing, so the fact that I am so far away from mine, means that they like to substitute for my family.  Every day my students tell me I am beautiful and funny.  We laugh and joke together and I break up fights when I need to.  We sing and we dance.  We wash dishes and we eat together.   We take care of each other because that is what a family does.  So- the fact that they got to be my family on my birthday made them over the top excited.  

I was blow away by the thought and planning the students and teachers put into making my birthday one I will never forget! I felt truly special and loved.  

No comments:

Post a Comment