Saturday, January 5, 2013

Christmas in Kudat

The Highlight of my Christmas in Kudat.

George, my host dad, asked his mother to dress me in traditional clothes.  They were so excited to share part of their customs and traditions with me.  I learned that the outfit I was wearing is typically worn at weddings or at the Harvest Festival.  To purchase these items on your own is expensive, so most of the items here have been passed down through generations.  It took almost two hours just to put the bracelet on my arm, shown below.  This is one heavy outfit--but if it was all traditional it would be much heavier.  The skirt would be just like the bracelet-- and they would add one bead at a time as the fit it to your body. Me-- I wore a skirt with a zipper.

I was happy to spend my last day like this, but the whole trip was really just wonderful!
Traditional Rungus Attire

The Process:


Add caption


No comments:

Post a Comment