Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Years

Somehow I forgot my camera memory card at home when I went to my friends kampung for New Year's Eve.  They celebrate here much like they do at home.  Boys are shooting off fireworks-- but most the kind with loud bangs and no pretty lights.  People gather and have a BBQ-- ok so that's not the same as a Minnesota New Year's but with no snow, it's rather enjoyable.  The streets are packed with people walking from house to house visiting their neighbors, family, and friends, wishing them well for the year ahead.

But--

The one tradition that really stuck out to me was this: most of the people go to the river and bath themselves there on New Year's Eve.  I was told that this is to bring good luck and wash away the bad from the current year.  To start anew, a fresh beginning.   I don't know about you, but this reminded me a lot of baptism.  Needless to say, I stayed nice and try, and brought in the new year by watching Twilight.  Who would have thought?

Blessings to you and your loved ones on this new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment