Saturday, January 5, 2013

Christmas in Kudat

Location: Near Kudat, Sabah, Malaysia.


above: rice paddy field below:Palm Trees
 I spent a week here nestled among the paddy fields and palm trees. Fallen coconuts were everywhere.
 Photos: above is the house where I stayed.  Below is where I showered and used the bathroom.

I was so blessed to have my host family, their brothers, sisters, and mother take me in during this Christmas season and make me feel like I was a part of a family.  I shared a bed with a teenage girl in a room also with her little sister. I had to be taught how to shower outside--with a sorang, a towel like fabric you wear while you shower.  I also had to be taught how to change clothes while wearing the sorang.  Which I found to be rather tricky.  Every day we went to church.  Most of it was done in Rungus, because they are Rungus people, but some was also done in the Malaysian language.   One interesting thing about this kampung, is that there is no river.  They get all of their water from using rain water.  

above: the Protestant Church I attended in Kudat
Interesting facts: at this church men sit on one side and women on the other.  The pastor only does the message and the benediction--the rest is lead by one or two other key members of the congregation.  On Christmas DaynI spent 4.5 hours here and didn't understand any of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment